GREENVILLE, S.C. – Jake Smith scored at 4:27 of overtime to propel the Florida Everblades to a 3-2 victory over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits Wednesday night at Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
After a scoreless first period, the teams combined for three goals in the second frame. Greenville’s Justin Nachbaur struck 4:10 into the period, staking the Swamp Rabbits to a 1-0 lead. The home team’s lead would be short-lived as Oliver Chau’s sixth goal of the year knotted the contest at 1-1 at the 12:18 mark, while James McEwan put the Blades ahead 2-1 just 14 seconds ahead of the second intermission.
Greenville’s Nikita Pavlychev knotted the game at 2-2 with a power-play goal at 8:50 of the third period that closed out the scoring in regulation time.Both teams registered 34 shots on goal. For the Everblades (12-3-2-1), Cam Johnson registered 32 saves and picked up his eighth win of the season. Chase Perry made 31 saves and suffered the loss for Greenville (9-6-4-0).
The Everblades will be back at it with two games in Savannah on Thursday and Friday. Puck drop against the Ghost Pirates is slated for 7:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., respectively.
SCORING SUMMARY – Click for full box score 1st PeriodNo Scoring2nd Period4:10 Greenville J. Nachbaur 2 (C. Souch)12:17 Florida O. Chau 6 (J. McEwan, L. Mattson)19:46 Florida J. McEwan 1 (C. Moberg)3rd Period8:50 Greenville N. Pavlychev 13 PP (B. McManus, A. Ierullo)Overtime4:27 Florida J. Smith 7 (J. Pendenza, S. Leblanc)GOALTENDERSFlorida – Cam Johnson, 28 SavesGreenville – Chase Perry, 30 SavesTEAM STATISTICSShots on Goal – Florida 34, Greenville 34Power Plays – Florida 0-2, Greenville 1-1Shorthanded Goals – Florida 0, Greenville 0Penalties (Minutes) – Florida 3 (17), Greenville 3 (9)
NEWS AND NOTES
- With the victory, the Everblades improved to 2-0-1-0 against Greenville, previously picking up a 3-1 victory on November 13 that avenged a 3-2 overtime loss the previous night.
- The Everblades have earned at least one point in eight straight games, posting a 6-0-1-1 mark and capturing 14 of a possible 16 points in that stretch. Away from Hertz Arena, Florida sports a 5-2-2-1 record this season, including a 4-0-2-1 mark in the team’s last seven road games, good for 11 of a possible 14 points.
- For the third time in three meetings between the South Division rivals, Greenville scored the first goal of the game, but each time the Swamp Rabbits claimed a 1-0 lead, the Everblades responded with multiple goals.
- Oliver Chau moved into a tie for the team lead with his sixth goal of the season, matching Robert Calisti who was recalled by Charlotte of the AHL on Tuesday
- James McEwan had a memorable Everblades debut, picking up two points in a busy second period. The talented newcomer assisted on Chau’s goal and potted a goal of his own in the final moments.
- In addition to sporting a six-game unbeaten streak (4-0-1-1), Cam Johnson is unbeaten in all five road starts he has made this season, posting a 2-0-2-1 mark away from Hertz Arena.
- Joe Pendenza tallied an assist for the third straight game.
- Jake Smith has picked up a point in each of his four games in an Everblades uniform (3 G, 1 A).
- Leif Mattson returned to the lineup for the first time since November 26 and promptly picked up his third helper in his last three appearances.
- Cole Moberg’s assist on McEwan’s goal was his second helper in three games.
The Everblades’ three-in-three road trip continues with the first of two games versus Savannah Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. Florida has a win in the only previous matchup with the Ghost Pirates, earning a 3-2 overtime win on Nov. 10. The teams will also faceoff Friday night at 7:30 p.m.
After the road trip concludes, the Everblades will return to Hertz Arena on Wednesday, Dec. 14 for a 7:30 contest against the Orlando Solar Bears, the first of three matchups between the teams in an eight-day stretch. The Wednesday night battle will feature the popular Hump Day Deals with $3.00 Bud Light drafts and $3.00 hot dogs. With a college ID, enjoy discounted tickets by placing your order HERE.
JOIN THE FUN
Purchase a new Voucher 12 package that allows you to use 12 tickets in any quantity during the 2022-23 season to earn the exclusive benefits of being a Blades 365 Member! To view the Blades 365 Membership savings, benefits and options click HERE.
Everblades put the FUN in FUNdraising! There is no handling of money or tickets and no limit to the amount of money your group can make with the Everblades easy-to-run online Fundraiser! For more information, or to reserve a Fundraiser Night at an Everblades regular season home game, call or text (239) 948-7825.
Calling all Everblades fans! Be among the first hockey fans in Southwest Florida to show off your pride in the newly-crowned Kelly Cup Champion Florida Everblades! Grab the newest and hottest merchandise by checking out the entire collection that is available online by visiting shop.floridaeverblades.com or at the Hertz Arena Pro Shop!
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Watch every Florida Everblades game on FloHockey.TV. Listen to the exciting game action on ESPN Southwest Florida on 770 AM, 98.1 FM, 104.3 FM and online at https://espnswfl.com or everblades.mixlr.com.
The Florida Everblades are the proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Florida Panthers and the AHL's Charlotte Checkers.