ORLANDO, Fla. — The Florida Everblades (17-6-4-0, 38 pts.) continue a string of three games in three days against the Orlando Solar Bears (13-11-2-0, 28 pts.) with a Friday night matchup at the Amway Center.
Last Time OutZach Nastasiuk opened the scoring just 32 seconds into the first period to set the tone, and Justin Auger, Ben Masella, and John McCarron added goals in Florida's 4-2 win over Orlando on Thursday night at the Amway Center. With Florida leading 3-0 in the second period, Orlando scored the next two goals to cut its deficit to one, but McCarron potted an empty-net goal with 61 seconds left to seal the win for the Everblades, their seventh in their last eight games. Jeremy Helvig made 24 saves for his fourth straight road win.
BOX SCORE | RECAP Players to WatchJustin Auger (FLA) – Auger has three goals in his last two games for Florida. After tabbing two goals on Dec. 8, Auger then missed three straight games for Florida when he was loaned to the AHL's Belleville Senators. The Waterloo, Ontario, native had the No. 1 play on Sports Center with his toe drag goal on Thursday night.
Mitch Hults (ORL) - The Tampa Bay Lightning prospect had his second goal of the season on Thursday night, a power-play marker in the first two minutes of the third period. The Stoughton, Wisconsin, native has six points in 10 games for Orlando this season.
Series historyFriday night is the 84th all-time matchup between Florida and Orlando, an all-time series that Florida leads with a record of 56-22-5. The two teams meet 12 times this season, six times in Orlando and six times at Hertz Arena. In 14 meetings last season, Florida posted a 10-4-0-0 record against Orlando, including a 9-2-0-0 record at the Amway Center.
- Florida scored first on Thursday night, the 14th time in 27 games that it has registered the game-opening goal. The 'Blades have not lost in regulation when scoring first (11-0-3-0) and are one of just two teams in the ECHL that has not lost in that scenario. The Tulsa Oilers are the only other ECHL team that has not lost when scoring first, with a 9-0-3-1 record in such games.
- Nastasiuk's goal 32 seconds into the game on Thursday was the 'Blades fastest goal to start a game this season and came 28 seconds faster than the previous fastest goal. Blake Winiecki held that distinction with his tally exactly one minute into Florida's 4-2 win over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Dec. 7.
- With a 40-26 edge in shots on goal on Thursday, Florida has now outshot its opponent in eight of its last 10 games. The 'Blades have posted 40 or more shots on goal four times in that span. Florida has fired at least 40 shots in each of its last two games and has a 92-43 edge in shots on goal between its last two contests.
- In addition to limiting opponents to just 27.1 shots on goal per game — the second-lowest shots against average in the ECHL — the 'Blades also rank second in the ECHL in goals allowed per game. Florida has yielded 2.44 goals per game on average this year.
- John McCarron registered his fifth multi-point game of the season on Thursday with a goal and two assists. The Macomb, Michigan, native has 47 career multi-point games.
- Ben Masella recorded a goal for the third straight game on Thursday to match his goal output from his rookie season last year. The defenseman had three goals and 19 assists for Worcester last season.
- Three has proved to be the magic number for Florida this season. When the 'Blades have scored at least three goals in a game, they have a 17-0-3-0 record.
Next Up Florida hosts Orlando on Saturday night at 7 p.m. at Hertz Arena to complete a stretch of three games in three nights. —
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits! To view the Ticket & Voucher Package options CLICK HERE. SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford’s Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
The Everblades are the proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes